Saturday, December 3, 2011

O Come O Come Emmanuel by the Civil Wars


Aww Yeahhh, Christmas season! It's only the most wonderful time of the year (I hope you just sung that last part). Anyway, in start of the season, iTunes' Single of the Week is a Christmas Song. The Civil Wars duo, most known for their songs "Poison & Wine" and "Barton Hollow" have adventured to the land that every other artist before them (including Beibs) has done their fair share of traveling to: a Christmas album. I'm going to say right now that very few successfully pull this off. It's not to say that they aren't good artists but most singers just cannot do Christmas music in my opinion. It usually just sounds bad, cheesy, and looks like an extremely obvious marketing technique. "O Come O Come Emmanuel" is one of the more difficult Christmas songs to pull off with it's slower pace and the fact that it's an actual hymn. Now, I am not opposed to the Civil Wars attempting to sing this, but I have heard better covers. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Civil Wars, I'm just not sure this song is really their forte. The best way I could describe my feelings involve hitting the snooze button. The song was too slow and didn't have much going for it. They needed to find something to make it their own and I'm not entirely sure they accomplished that.

Still in a Christmas Spirit? Still a die hard supporter of the Civil Wars? Have a Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment