Sunday, November 6, 2011

Why Can't I Be Your Backdoor Man Instead by Eddie Kirkland


This is already downloaded on my iTunes. It's fantastic. I saw it, I listened, I claimed it as my own, I regret nothing.
I should really begin by clarifying my love for old-school music. The distorted sound recording, the absence of autotune, the cultural references of that time, I just love it all. The late Eddie Kirkland was a bluesman who's life was dedicated to music. His career began in 1949. He wrote/composed/sang until his death this past February. This album, Pick Up the Pieces, is a collection of songs that were never released until now. "Why Can't I Be Your Backdoor Man Instead" is a song of a man with commitment issues (surprise, surprise) who tells his girlfriend that instead of getting married he should just become the "other man". In his opinion, the idea of cheating would keep them together. It's not something you hear everyday, it was clever, the blues were perfectly in tact, and as I said before I totally enjoyed it. 

I wish i had a link for this, but its nowhere on youtube...you'll just have to download it on itunes instead ;)

P.S. iTunes has this section called "Discovery Download" where they feature a band or artist that's worth our attention every week...I had no idea this existed until I found this song. Maybe I should start looking at that instead of the Single of the Week? Or maybe look at both? We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment