Sunday, November 6, 2011

Surrender by Angels & Airwaves


So we have a more popular band than usual this week with Angels & Airwaves. The band is known for their members coming from a bunch of other successful bands. Lead vocalist Tom DeLounge is from Blink-182 (commence reel of nostalgia), bass player Matt Watcher from 30 Seconds to Mars, drummer Iian Ruben from Nine Inch Nails, and finally guitarist David Kennedy from Box Car Racer. The four have grouped together and founded the alternative band, have produced 4 albums (each with their own music tour) and are now featured on Single of the Week with their song "Surrender."  My initial reaction to this song was "blah". Nothing really stood out and was like "Hey Sarai, download me, it's totally worth the hardrive space". The song was a bit pop-ish, the lyrics weren't there, DeLounge got a little monotone. The part that especially annoyed me of the lyrics was the chorus, which literally read:

I, I will not surrender
No I, I will not surrender
No I, I will not surrender
No I, I will not surrender

Could I have a little more creativity please? Can you put some more effort into your writing? That's all i'm really asking for. 

Oh! Also, the song is almost 5 minutes long...seriously? Too unnecessarily long.

Here's how I would summarize my final thoughts: If I were at a supermarket and this song were playing would I cringe at it's terribleness? No. But would I really take the extra time in my day to listen to the rest of this album? Absolutely not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment